Corns and calluses are skin lesions where there is a localised area of thickened skin. corns can be inflamed and painful. There can be painless hard skin as well.
What causes corns and calluses?
Corns and calluses are caused by response to friction and pressure. Repetitive injury results in the skin trying to protect itself from blistering. The basal epidermal cells (keratinocytes) increase in number resulting in thicker prickle cell layer and thicker stratum corneum on the skin surface.
Symptoms of Corns
The following are some of the symptoms of Corns:
The most common sites are on the hands and feet, other skin also can be affected. Examples include:
o On the palms
o On the knuckles (knuckle pads)
o On the side of the foot
o On the ball of the foot
Thick skin on the entire palm or sole is known as palmar or plantar keratoderma
Homeopathic treatment for Corns
It is very important to relieve the pressure on the affected area of skin first.
• Choose well-fitting, comfortable, flat footwear
• Use leather gloves for repetitive tasks that injure the skin
• Apply a protective plaster or cushion around the affected area to reduce friction
• Separate toes using soft cotton, or web spacers to relieve pressure
Reduce skin thickness.
• Sandpaper, file or pumice the surface (skin should be soaked in warm water for 10 minutes or longer)
To ease the discomfort of painful cracks (fissures):
• Apply a thick, lubricating ointment such as petroleum jelly
• Seal the surface with adhesive or nail glue
• Use medicines for infection
• Cover with a thick adhesive plaster
Homeopathy treatment is excellent in the treatment of corns. It not only relieves the pain, infection or inflammation, it will permanently cure corns.