The common subjective complain drawn out in the eye examination course is referred as the condition of double vision or Diplopia.
Diplopia frequently appears as the symptom of especially neurologic or muscular process and also of numerous systematic ailments.
• In this condition the 2eyes retinas fail to maintain visual objects’ correspondence (normal neuromuscular coordination).
• Abnormal ocular media like vitreous abnormalities, scarring or corneal distortion, retinal conditions, subluxation or cataract of the pseudophakic lens implant, openings in the iris, etc leads to monocular Diplopia.
Morbidity / Mortality:
On performing visually demanding tasks like operating tools or while driving a vehicle, morbidity in relation to problems with confusion with object orientation and depth perception is essential.
Diplopia is usually found in adults and people with mature visual systems. The symptoms of this problem cannot be expressed by young children if faced.
Causes of Diplopia:
Double vision in an eye is experienced due to problem with cornea.
Shingles or herpes zoster is one of the cornea infections resulting into cornea to deform.
LASIK surgery is the rarest complication which has the tendency to leave one altered cornea producing uneven images.
2.Problem with lens:
The double vision problem is caused by the commonest lens problem of cataract.
Distorted images are formed if cataracts exist in both the eyes.
Minor surgery usually rectifies the cataract problem.
The healthy eye movement is often restricted if there appears a weak muscle in one of them.
Double vision is also caused due to weak muscle controls gazing in directions.
Also blockage of muscle stimulation by the nerves inside the head leads to problems of double vision, ptosis or drooping eyelids. This is an autoimmune disorder termed as myasthenia gravis.
Vertical Diplopia (one image appears to be on the top of another) is caused due to Graves’ disease. The muscles of eyes weaken in this thyroid disorder.
:The nerves of brain are affected through many conditions and leads to the problem of Diplopia.
Spinal cord and brain nerves are greatly affected by multiple sclerosis.
Also damage of nerve through diabetes can lead to the problem of Diplopia.
5. Brain problems:
The brain directly controls the eyes through a nerve. It is the brain where the subsequent processing of visual takes place. The problem of double vision is greatly resulted from various causes in the brain which are as follows:
- Brain tumors
- Migraine headaches
- Trauma, infection or bleeding leading to increased pressure inside the brains
It is imperative to diagnose the exact cause for the Diplopia and undergo the necessary treatment for the same. The correction and management of causes can result in improving your Diplopia condition.
• Surgery in case of weak eye muscles or pinched muscles due to injury helps to improve the condition.
• Medications can cure Diplopia caused due to myasthenia gravis.
• Medical therapy and surgery help in preventing the problem caused due to graves diseases.
• Insulin or medicines can treat Diplopia from diabetes.
Wearing special contact lenses or an eye patch also alleviates the problem of double vision. Even homeopathic treatments can offer great help to patients down with Diplopia.