The condition wherein the child’ physical and mental development is delayed due to presence of extra genes is known as Down syndrome. Every 1 from 800 babies are affected by Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome).
It is a non-curable disorder which is detectable before the child’s birth. However the treatment can be provided for the health problems occurring with Down syndrome (DS). The physical and other problems associated with DS are subjective and varies from one child to another. Medical attention is required in some cases, while others demand healthy lifestyles.
• The presence of an extra chromosome 21 making it 47chromosomes instead of normally present 46chromosomes constitutes the cause for Down syndrome in children.
• This one chromosome is responsible for delayed development of mental and physical abilities in children.
• The condition of Down syndrome is more prominent in women above 35years of age and older giving birth to children.
• 1 in 900 women at age 30, 1 in 350 women by 35years of age and 1 in 100 by women of 40years of age have chances of having children with Down syndrome
Symptoms of Down Syndrome
The symptoms appearing in children suffering from Down syndrome are as follows:
• Hypotonia – low muscle tone
• Unusual physical features such as upward slant eyes, small ears, sticking out tongue and flat face.
• Floppy babies, whose condition with time can be improved.
• As compared to other students, most DS children reach developmental milestone at later period like crawling, sitting up, walking, etc.
• DS children are seen having gradual growth and are usually smaller than the other kids of their age.
• Late development of self-care skills and in speech likes toilet teaching, dressing and feeding.
• Intellectual impairment – moderate or mild.
Medical problems associated with Down syndrome:
• Congenital heart defect is the problem visible in half of the children undergoing DS.
• Greater risk of pulmonary hypertension development.
• Vision and hearing problem in half of the DS children.
• Also increases the vulnerability of children for being susceptible to various other diseases such as intestinal abnormalities, respiratory problems, thyroid problems, higher risk of childhood leukemia, seizure disorders, an increased susceptibility to infection and obesity.
Homeopathictreatment for Down Syndrome
Homeopathic treatment with its great constitutional approach offers genetic level treatment for the children suffering from Down syndrome. The effective homeopathic medications try to reduce the symptoms of Down syndrome in children and curb the chances of developing the further complications from the syndrome. It fosters the systematic mental and physical development of children and alleviates the effect of Down syndrome on them.