Prolapsed intervertebral disc
When the diagnosis is made as a prolapsed disc (commonly called a 'slipped disc'), a disc does not actually 'slip'. What happens is that part of the inner softer part of the disc (the nucleus pulposus) bulges out (herniates) through a weakness in the outer part of the disc. A prolapsed disc is sometimes called a herniated disc.
The bulging disc may press on nearby structures such as a nerve coming from the spinal cord. There may be inflammation also around the prolapsed part of the disc.
Any disc in the spine can prolapse. However, most prolapsed discs occur in the lumbar part of the spine (lower back).
• Herniation of intervertebral disc.
• Senile degeneration of disc.
• Sudden jerk.
• Trauma to spine.
• Commonly affected discs: L4-L5, L5-S1.
Symptoms of Prolapsed intervertebral disc
The following are some of the symptoms of Prolapsed intervertebral disc:
• Onset- sudden.
• There is a history of-
1. Over-straining of lumber spine.
2. Lifting weight.
3. Violent coughing.
4. Sudden stooping or twisting.
• Location- in lower back.
• Radiates to gluteal region, back of thigh, calf, foot.
• Character- agonising.
• Worse by- movement, coughing, stooping, turning, walking, bending forwards.
• Better by- rest.
• Tingling, numbness in calf, foot.
X-Ray lumbo-sacral spine
• Narrowed disc spaces.
• Loss of lumber lordosis.
• Compensatory scoliosis.
CT scan lumber spine
• Outline of soft tissues.
• Bulging out disc.
MRI lumber spine
• Intervertebral disc protrusion.
• Compression of nerve root.
• Rest to spine for at least 6-12 weeks.
• Use of hard bed.
• In severe cases- traction is applied to leg or pelvis, provided there is no cord compression.
• Regain mobility gradually.
• Restrict jerky movements.
• Avoid- forward bending, lifting weight.
• Reduce weight if obese.
Homeopathic treatment for Prolapsed intervertebral disc
Lancing (cutting of the abscess) can be avoided with timely Homeopathic treatment to - Reduce the size of inflammation Reduce the pain Promote suppuration and drainage Homeopathy can effectively increase the immune system which helps to overcome the recurrent abscess and boils.
Treated cases on Prolapsed intervertebral disc